The trend of renovating or retrofitting of the old kitchen worktops with either marble or quartz is picking up quiet very well these days. The simple reason being that quartz worktop is not only eye catching but also durable and resilient. The quartz kitchen worktops are easily available than the marble ones and they are more sturdy than marble. Thus, the popularity of quartz worktops is ever increasing.
Advantages of Quartz Kitchen Worktops
These worktops are easily available and are sturdy in comparison to other worktops. They need minimum servicing since they are resistant to scratch, chemicals and oils which makes them even more durable than other worktops. They are also heat resistant and vary in range of sizes, types and shapes. Since the quartz tops are not natural instead are engineered ones and mixed with pigments one can have a large variety of shades to choose for tiles and slabs. It is an engineered product since, unlike natural stones, the material is more compact and homogeneous and can be custom made to suit individual requirements.
Cleaning of Quartz Kitchen Worktops
- Cleaning materials such as abrasives or those having bleaching properties can cause damage to quartz tops. Liquid cleaners having citrus juice as an ingredient can also damage the slabs of quartz.
- Usage ofmetallic pot scrubbers are also to be avoided for cleaning quartz slabs.
- Any dry built up of food articles on the quartz tops should not be scrapped with metallic knife or similar tools, as they can cause scratches on the surface. It is better to use putty knives or pallet knives made of plastic or soft wood to scrape them off.
- Even though the quartz countertops are heat resistant, they are not heat proof and care is to be taken while keeping hot items over it. If you remove a hot pan or vessel from a gas top or from oven, before placing it on the quartz top, place a heat resistant support coaster over the quartz countertop and then place the hot stuff over it. Placing any hot stuff directly over the quartz countertop will cause it to develop cracks, thereby allow the ingress of moisture into it and also causing the growth of bacteria.
- Although the quartz countertop is tough and scratch resistant, but cutting food items over the top with a knife can cause scratch marks on it. Hence it is advised, to always use cutting trays during cutting of food items on the quartz kitchen top.
- You have to avoid keeping acidic food over the countertop and also care is to be taken not spill acidic food items over the top. They can stain the top and may also cause damage to the top. In the same vein one has to take care while placing heavy vessels, dishes etc over the quartz kitchen top, by placing them slowly and carefully over the surface without any impact. Dropping heavy items over the surface can cause cracking and chipping.
Thus, Quartz kitchen worktops offer excellent aesthetics, ease of use and maintenance as compared to other worktops, and taking due care will ensure a long-lasting and smart looking kitchen.